Sunday, September 23, 2007

No Facebook after Orkut

I’ve had more invitations to join Facebook than an orphaned Afghan would get from Al Qaeda at a terrorists’ convention. I have resisted. Thanks in no small part to my Orkut experience. I’m anti social networking sites. They take relationships into cyberspace, where there is virtually, no real human interaction. Online, there’s an uncomfortable comfort level one gets from interacting with a screen. Also, it’s no fun discovering your ex-girlfriends, forever-loves and playmates have not joined the convent and are all living happily ever after you. I ditched Orkut and as sure as hell, am staying away from Facebook.

3 comments:

Xara said...

Whieeee?? I never got onto Orkut for precisely these reasons, but Facebook is a whole different experience. And a lot of fun. And private (i.e. only your friends can msg you, view your profile, etc.). It's Web 2.0 at its best. You must check it out!

Xara said...

Dude, I'm am loving it! (the blog, I mean)

Unknown said...

I absolutely agree with u about the social networking sites. It all starts with a lot of enthu and then all that the messages scraps say are HIs & hellos. The conversations dont move beyond that. Also its too linked. I mean I would like to know here my school friends and my chaddi buddys are, but not everyday. What are memories left of if get to visit them everyday.