Monday, October 15, 2007

Lessing time

Who is Doris Lessing? In case you do not know, and as I just discovered, she is an author. And of course, now, the 2007 Nobel prize winner for Literature. Problem is, I have not read anything by Lessing, which makes me wonder whether I am not clued in to literature, or, Lessing is not a must-read author. So, is the Nobel Prize all about political correctness, then. Lessing does have an admirable body of work, which means I’m going to have to read something by her soon. I hope I am not disappointed. Anybody out there read Lessing?

1 comment:

Nandita Saikia said...

I read one of her books years ago. It was one of my mum's. Absolutely brilliant although I hated it: it was brutally honest. And bleak. And it reminded me a little too much of real life.
And no, I don't think she's very widely read but I'm very pleased she's got the prize.