Saturday, March 7, 2009

Action and sex

A great author must be able to write a sex scene that leaves you turned on without being vulgar and a fight scene so real, your adrenaline is pumping.
I haven’t read them all, but in my book, Wilbur Smith is a master of the above. His African epics, among all other things, have the greatest action writing I have come across. And he is no slouch when putting his characters between the covers either.
In the same vein is Eric Van Lustbader and Louis L’amour, though there’s not much mating in the latter’s wild west. Any other suggestions?

1 comment:

ro said...

Yep. Smith is great at both.
But L'Amour is strictly action. In fact, why did you even mention him in a post about sex? :-)
You ever tried J. T. Edson? I thought he was great at westerns.

The greatest sex scene I've ever read was in the Irving Wallace's Seventh Secret. (But I quit reading a long time back).
And then there was Harold Robbins...